The College of Engineering at Illinois hosts several camps during the summer. To read about all the different WYSE Summer Camps, click here! All the summer camps are also listed below.
1. Exploring Your Options (EYO) is a week-long residential program that introduces high school rising juniors and seniors (graduating in 2020 or 2019) to the field of engineering. EYO is held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Participants will interact with engineering students and faculty members, plan and build a project, and engage in hands-on activities prepared by departments within the College of Engineering. There are two sessions offered; see camp dates for details. EYO also offers a Mechanical Science and Engineering Track.
Click below to take a look at a video summary of EYO Session I!
2. Exploring Mechanical Engineering is a week-long residential program that introduces high school rising juniors and seniors to the field of Mechanical Science and Engineering. Mechanical Engineering is all about building things! Mechanical engineers understand how machines work and how to design and construct new ones to solve challenging problems in the world. This camp will explore many of the exciting new topics in mechanical engineering, such as:
- constructing wind turbines to harvest clean energy from nature
- building robots to explore and clean up hazardous waste
- creating prosthetics to help injured people walk again
- making water treatment systems that run on sunlight for the developing world
- Campers will get hands-on experience building and designing machines that make the world a better place, using all their creativity and problem-solving skills. The camp will also include field trips to on-site labs and nearby research and manufacturing companies.
Click on Camp Dates and Deadlines for more information about Exploring Your Options Camps.
3. Discover Engineering (DE) is a week-long residential camp for rising freshmen and sophomores (graduating in 2021 or 2022) who are interested in math and science. Students will work on several projects that will incorporate different aspects of engineering. DE is also offering a Bioengineering Track.
Click below to take a look at a video summary of DE 2015!
4. Discover Bioengineering is a week-long residential camp that introduces rising freshman and sophomores to the field of Bioengineering. Bioengineering is all about modeling of systems, design of new technologies and devices for low cost, effective medical care. Bioengineers study and understand how complex biological systems work and how to design and construct medical devices, design better therapeutics, and solve big problems facing society. Here are some of the exciting topics campers will discover:
- Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Biomechanics and Prosthetics
- Imaging and Sensing
- Therapeutics Engineering
- Computational and Systems Biology
These topics were covered through lectures, hands-on activities and team projects. Some hands-on activities and projects that campers were involved in included:
- Cell culture of mammalian cells
- Motion capture biomechanics
- Analysis of biomimetic materials
- Creating genetic models
- Building biomedical instrumentation
Click on Camp Dates and Deadlines for more information about Discover Engineering Camps.
For additional camps offered by the College of Engineering, please visit the Women in Engineering page to learn about GAMES camp and the Aerospace Engineering Camp page to learn about the Illinois Aerospace Institute (IAI) Summer Camps.
Camps Home | Why Should I Choose WYSE Camps? | Camp Dates | Application | Cost | Schedule