For rising 9th – 12th graders
- Session I: June 13-25, 2021 (REGISTRATION CLOSED)
- Session II: July 11-23, 2021 (STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
- 2-week experience of exploring the various engineering fields through presentations, speakers, demonstrations, and hands-on labs and projects.
- Virtual field trips to working research labs on campus and related industries.
- Unique breakout sessions around special interests such as women and minorities in engineering, college essay writing, and more.
- Hands-on labs and projects using materials from the Lab Kit that will be mailed to your home.
- Meet new people and engage socially as well as academically in your daily small group sessions via web conference, facilitated by a University of Illinois student who will be your guide for the week.
- The first week of camp consists of exploratory labs and recorded content for campers to explore on their own with office hour sessions and live-chat during the day. The second week provides campers with a deeper dive into three of the engineering topics they explored the week before.
- Small group community-building activities in the late afternoon/early evening.
“I had many opportunities to receive support from and connect with other women in STEM and really liked connecting with other students in different states and interests.” ~2020 WIT camper
Virtual camp activities will occur through these 3 processes:
- LIVE sessions using video conferencing or webinar tools (e.g. Zoom).
- AYC sessions or “at your convenience” will include videos, articles, and labs that will be accessed through a password-protected website.
- Community Chat (e.g. GroupMe, Discord, Slack) will be accessible for any-time communication between campers, counselors, and course instructors.
“The best thing about the “What It Takes” summer camp is that while it was virtual, it provided me with experiences that felt as if I was in the lab or classroom performing experiments and activities. All of the activities we did were very engaging and allowed me to think creatively and challenge myself. It was amazing to be able to tap into my abilities.” ~2020 WIT camper
Explore these Engineering Majors:
|Aerospace Engineering||Computer Science|
|Agricultural and Biological Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|Bioengineering||Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Materials, Science and Engineering|
|Civil and Environmental Engineering||Mechanical Science and Engineering|
|Computer Engineering||Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering|
“This camp opened my eyes to all the kinds of engineering, sparked my curiosity, and advanced my critical thinking skills.” ~2020 WIT camper