For Rising 10th – 12th Graders
June 26 – July 15, 2022
Online Camp – Applications Open Soon
Cost: $400 per camper. Covers costs of staffing, project materials, camp T-shirt, and postage costs. See the Summer Camps FAQs Trail Blazer Scholarship section for information on financial assistance.
What to expect
- Multi-week experience of exploring 10-12 engineering fields through presentations, speakers, demonstrations, and hands-on labs and projects.
- Virtual field trips to working research labs on campus and related industries.
- Unique breakout sessions around special interests such as women and minorities in engineering, college essay writing, and more.
- Hands-on labs and projects using materials from the Lab Kit that will be mailed to your home.
- Meet new people and engage socially as well as academically in your daily small group sessions via web conference, facilitated by a University of Illinois student who will be your guide for the week.
- June 26-July 8 asynchronous At Your Convenience (AYC) session consists of exploratory labs and recorded content for campers to explore on their own time with office hour sessions and live-chat available during the day.
- July 10-July 16 scheduled synchronous sessions provide campers with a deeper dive into three of the engineering topics they explored the week before.
- Small group community-building activities with a camp counselor in the late afternoon/early evening.
“I had many opportunities to receive support from and connect with other women in STEM and really liked connecting with other students in different states and interests.” ~2020 WIT camper
Virtual camp activities will occur through these 3 processes:
- LIVE sessions using video conferencing or webinar tools (e.g. Zoom).
- AYC sessions or “at your convenience” will include videos, articles, and labs that will be accessed through a password-protected website.
- Community Chat (e.g. GroupMe, Discord, Slack) will be accessible for any-time communication between campers, counselors, and course instructors.
“The best thing about the “What It Takes” summer camp is that while it was virtual, it provided me with experiences that felt as if I was in the lab or classroom performing experiments and activities. All of the activities we did were very engaging and allowed me to think creatively and challenge myself. It was amazing to be able to tap into my abilities.” ~2020 WIT camper
2021 What It Takes schedule (for example only)
Applications Open Soon